If you’re looking to drop up to 15 pounds quickly, the GM diet, or General Motors Diet, may be something you want to try. Rather than restrict certain foods indefinitely, it tells you what foods you can eat on a certain day. Keep reading to get all of the details of this effective weight loss tool.
About the GM diet
The GM diet is not a new diet. It first started in 1985 and, as the name implies, was developed by General Motors. The automobile manufacturer worked with the Food and Drug Administration and the United States Department of Agriculture to come up with an eating plan that would make employees healthier and raise their overall productivity. Many employees had amazing results, losing 10-17 pounds in a week. The diet is relatively easy to follow and uses real food that you can find anywhere.
How It Works
The GM diet focuses your diet on fruits, vegetables, brown rice, and chicken. You eat these foods or a combination of these foods on certain days. You also increase your water intake to at least 10 glasses a day to stay hydrated and feeling full.
You should avoid alcohol for a few days before the diet schedule begins. The substance should be avoided completely while you are on the GM diet. Alcohol can make you retain water and prevent the detoxifying effect of the diet. Water helps boost your metabolism and eliminates water weight, naturally.
Benefits of the GM diet
Aside from the weight, you’ll lose, there are other benefits to the GM diet. People who have completed the program say they have more energy, feel more confident and just feel good.
Detoxes Your Body
Think of the GM diet as a juice cleanse you can chew. For seven days, you eliminate processed foods, fat and refined sugars from your diet. The good food and water flush out any remaining toxins and provide a wealth of nutrients. Detoxifying the body on a regular basis results in faster digestion and better elimination of toxins.
High-fiber foods, such as fruits and vegetables, improve digestion and are easily absorbed and eliminated by the body. The gm involves consuming large fruits and vegetables, resulting in a high-fiber diet. Water helps your body absorb nutrients. The combination of water and fiber makes eliminating waste easier and more complete. Low-fiber foods can linger in the body, making you feel sluggish and bloated.
Types of Food, Meal Plans & More
The GM diet can be done as a vegetarian or as an omnivore. As we mentioned earlier, the GM diet concentrates on certain foods on certain days. Let’s look at a typical week on the GM diet.
The first day may be a challenge as your body adjusts to the new diet, On this day, you can eat only fruit. However, grapes, litchi, mangoes, and bananas are not allowed. All other fruit can be eaten as much as you’d like. Watermelon, oranges, limes, apples, pomegranates, melons and strawberries are particularly helpful at keeping hunger away. You can eat as many times during the day as you want. If you want to just eat melons the first day, you could lose up to three pounds.
This day is for the vegetables. You can eat only vegetables that are raw or boiled. You can eat as much and as often as you would like. The GM diet allows you to start this day with a boiled potato and a teaspoon of butter. After that, potatoes and butter are off limits. To give your veggies a little more flavor, try adding dried herbs.
This day combines the foods of day 1 and day 2. You can eat fruits and vegetables as described above, just no potato and butter. You’ll get carbohydrates from the fruit. Drink at least 10 glasses of water to stay hydrated. Your cravings may flare up, or they may have disappeared. Keep going!
Here’s where things get a little more interesting. You are allowed to eat up to 6 bananas and drink up to 4 glasses of milk. The bananas restore the sodium and potassium you need in your body.
Here comes the protein. You should eat at least 500 grams or 17 ounces of chicken/lean meat and 6 tomatoes today. You should also increase your water today. All 3 of your meals should have chicken, about 6 ounces. For your morning and evening snack, you should drink water. No others foods should be consumed. If you do not like chicken, eat 6 eggs + 6 tomatoes that day. If you are vegetarian, you can have a cup of brown rice, tofu and cottage cheese.
First off, congratulations for having the dedication to make it to the sixth day of the GM diet. On this day, you can eat chicken, all vegetables, except tomatoes, for all three main meals. You can also have a soup made with all vegetables, except tomatoes, for your mid-morning and evening snacks. For the vegetarian version of day six, you can eat cottage cheese instead of meat.
This is the final day of the GM diet plan. You can have fresh fruit juice, one cup of brown rice and vegetables.
Here are some tips for success:
- Increasing water intake—to drinking 15 glasses a day by the fifth day
- Drinking black tea, black coffee, and lime water
- Working out for 45 minutes every other day to enhance your results.
- Dressing vegetables with squeezed lemon, herbs, garlic or even white or wine vinegar
Meal Schedule and Suggestions
- Breakfast: Two medium apples and eight ounces of water
- Brunch: Watermelon and eight ounces of water
- Lunch: Pomegranate and 16 ounces of water
- Afternoon snack: An orange and eight ounces of water
- Evening snack: A pear and eight ounces of water
- Dinner: grapefruit half and eight ounces of water
- Breakfast: A medium boiled potato with one teaspoon of butter
- Brunch: Lettuce or kale salad with a bowl of cabbage and eight ounces of water
- Lunch: One cucumber, one onion, half of a carrot and 16 ounces of water
- Afternoon snack: Half a cup of sliced capsicum, one cup of boiled cauliflower or broccoli and 16 ounces of water
- Evening snack: One cup of boiled cauliflower and eight ounces of water
- Dinner: Boiled green beans, carrot and beetroot along with 16 ounces of water
- Breakfast: apple or watermelon, one bowl and 16 ounces of water
- Brunch: One cup of pineapple, an apple and 16 ounces of water
- Lunch: Mix onions, cabbage, cucumber, broccoli and carrots together. Drink two glasses of water
- Afternoon snack: Half of a grapefruit and one glass of water
- Evening snack: pear
- Dinner: Half a cup of boiled beetroot, one bowl of boiled broccoli and 8 ounces of water
- Breakfast: A glass of milk and two bananas
- Brunch: A banana shake (made with a banana and a glass of milk)
- Lunch: A bowl of vegetable soup comprising beans, broccoli, cabbage, onions and carrots
- Afternoon snack: Same as brunch
- Dinner: A glass of milk and two bananas
- Breakfast: Boiled kidney beans, two tomatoes and two glasses of water If you eat meat, you can have 5.5 ounces of chicken or two eggs.
- Brunch: One cup of cottage cheese or tofu and a glass of water
- Lunch: Two ripe tomatoes, a cup of brown rice and cooked spinach with 5 ounces of chicken with 16 ounces of water
- Afternoon snack: Soya chunks mixed in sprouts salad and 16 ounces of water
- Dinner: A curry made of chicken, vegetable soup, cucumber and tomato salad with 16 ounces of water
- Breakfast: One cup of boiled veggies with 16 ounces of water
- Brunch: Half a bowl of boiled red kidney beans and a sliced tomato with two cups of water
- Lunch: Vegetable soup and a cup of brown rice, followed by two cups of water
- Afternoon snack: One apple with eight ounces of water
- Evening snack: Bowl of boiled sprouts with eight ounces of water
- Dinner: Bowl of boiled veggies and eight ounces of water
- Breakfast: Watermelon with a cup of water
- Brunch: A cup of berries and carrots with eight ounces of water
- Lunch: Cooked brown rice and sauteed veggies with 16 ounces of water
- Afternoon snack: A pear and a cup of water
- Evening snack: An apple and a glass of water
- Dinner: A bowl of veggie soup and eight ounces of water
The GM diet is a great diet if you want to kick-start your weight loss or prepare for a special event. It is not a long-term solution to keeping the weight off. To keep the weight off, continue to drink plenty of water and exercise. When you finish the diet, phase in healthy foods that do not contain refined sugar or a lot of salt.